Is Recapture the Best Shopify Email Alternative?
It depends on how you plan to use your email, but Shopify Email is a relatively new offering from the ecommerce giant and the tool isn’t as mature as others. With a quirky editor, strange limitations on sections added and products not working, it may not be the ideal solution for your store.
Shopify Email is the email marketing service provided by Shopify as part of their ecommerce platform. Shopify Email is accessible to every Shopify merchant on a paid plan. But is Recapture a suitable Shopify Email Alternative?
Let’s see how Recapture stacks up against Shopify Email
|Simple Pricing||✅, https://recapture.io/pricing||✅, 10,000 emails free, and then $1 per 1000 emails sent|
|Easy to use editor||✅, Drag-and-drop or custom HTML both available||⚠️, custom HTML not supported for everyone, editor is missing key features for editing basic blocks. Limit to sections you can add (20)|
|Segmentation||✅, many options available, easy to setup and understand||⚠️, very basic segmentation supported only, must configure outside of email|
|Abandoned Cart recovery||✅, as many emails as you wish to send, any timing you want, supports abandoned checkouts AND abandoned carts automatically||⚠️, one email only, within 24 hours of abandonment. Only supports abandoned checkouts, not abandoned carts|
|Winback emails||✅, as many emails as you wish to send, any timing you want||🚫, not supported|
|Post Purchase Emails||✅, as many emails as you wish to send, any timing you want, supports Welcome, Cross-sell/Upsell, Review Reminder, and Educational content||⚠️, some order notifications, shipping notifications supported, no cross-sell/upsell, welcome or educational without using Flows. Review reminder requires separate app altogether|
|Broadcasts||✅, as many emails as you wish to send, any timing you want. Flexible per-send pricing, or fixed-price for high-volume senders||✅, as many emails as you wish to send, any timing you want.|
|Email Popups (collectors)||✅, add-to-cart and general popups, both supported. Collect mobile numbers, emails or both.||🚫, not supported without an additional app|
|SMS Notifications||✅, send order notifications or abandoned cart recovery texts.||🚫, not supported without an additional app|
|Analytics & Reporting||✅, detailed, with easy-to-read graphs for every campaign. Option to email report either daily, weekly or monthly on request. Covers open, click, conversion, unsubscribe, bounce and revenue/email data.||⚠️, basic graphs in Shopify dashboard, covers only open, click and conversion rates.|
|Personalization||✅, numerous options for name, coupon code, order & product data, coupon name and more. Put in subject, preview or body.||⚠️, very limited|
|Send Limits||✅, none–based on price plan only. Anti-spam measures added in to avoid over-contacting customers, but no limits present otherwise.||⚠️, hard limits of 5 emails/week/contact|
|Customization||✅, custom HTML available for every campaign type, very flexible editor settings for WYSIWYG as well to configure blocks of all kinds||⚠️, very limited|
|Templates||🚫, not yet supported||⚠️, very limited|
|Customer Support||✅, highly rated support on all platforms, live chat, email and phone. Very responsive.||✅, reasonable support via email and live chat.|
Shopify Email Pros
- Pricing is very startup friendly
- Available to all Shopify stores, regardless of paid plan
- Directly integrated into store
Shopify Email Cons
- Not easy to customize the email
- Automations require using Flows, adding complexity to your setup
- Shopify Email flows are very basic, not many options for followup or configuration
- Shopify doesn’t support abandoned cart recovery, only abandoned checkouts (which can be a huge difference in recovered revenue)
- Sending timing can be off according to reviews
- Not highly sophisticated editor, limited ability to change drag-and-drop items
- Limited ability to improve delivery (e.g. custom sender domains, dedicated IP addresses, etc)
- Quirks like “section limits per email” or “5 emails per contact per week” may not fit with your workflow needs
- Stores that are getting started
- Low volume sending stores that do an occasional broadcast
- Stores that are cost-conscious and want to help keep costs to a bare minimum
Not a Good Fit For
- Stores who want some sophistication to your reporting and analytics
- Stores who have a lot of email campaigns to setup, send and manage
- Stores making over $10,000/month
- Stores who have over 3,000 contacts and want to do more frequent broadcasts or add SMS and see analytics for both, under one roof
Bottom Line on Recapture as Shopify Email Alternative
If you’re looking for something cheap, integrated into Shopify directly and has a generous free tier (up to 10,000 emails/month) then Shopify Email might be the perfect solution for you. If you’re only sending a few emails a week out to less than 2,000 contacts, Shopify Email is probably a great fit for your needs to get started. But if you’re looking for a solid Shopify Email alternative, Recapture might make sense for your store.
If you’ve outgrown the basics and want something more campaign-oriented, with pre-built triggers for things like Abandoned Carts (both cart AND checkout, not just checkout), Post Purchase and Winbacks without having to build these yourself, and without limits on sends or email editor sections, Recapture may be your better alternative to Shopify Email.
Ready to get started?
You can have Recapture up and running today. Why wait any longer? Start recovering abandoned revenue right now!